Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Watch out for that...

As a child I remember walking toward the kitchen from my aunt's living room and accidentally tripping over an object on the floor. My cousin, who observed the incident said, "watch out for that," right after I ungracefully fell to my knees. Yeah, thanks.

As an adult I feel like I still experience this scenario. For example, when I'm trying to accomplish something at work and a more experienced staff person with information that would make the task easier watches as I fumble, then offers the "oh yeah, that doesn't work" comment when I tell them about it. Again, thanks.

I realize this happens (mostly) unintentionally. But sometimes I feel a sense of deliberateness behind it. Like the thought is "the newbie" will only learn how to accomplish the task by being humiliated in front of her peers (in my case). Well, that certainly is true, but is it a good thing?

It's not obvious to me why information and experience isn't shared among colleagues in the same workplace the way we share with our professional colleagues outside the office. I attend conferences and webinars where people present their best practices, workflows and scripts for handling tasks. A lot of great tips and suggestions are also generated via list servs.

The best part about this sharing is that it doesn't just prevent people from feeling dumb (e.g. no one at our library could ever write a script like that), it encourages people to try something new.

At my new job I'm fortunate enough to have a co-worker who is very knowledgeable about the products I support and is willing to spend time answering my questions. It's wonderful, and I'm grateful to her. It's like I don't feel like I have spend time looking at the ground for some object I might trip over. I can focus my attention on the eight thousand other issues that surround being "the newbie." And she can take comfort from knowing that sharing her knowledge will get me up to speed more quickly (and take some of the burden of work from her shoulders).

So the next time you see someone who is struggling (or about to do something the wrong way), please remember that helping them will benefit you, not just professionally but personally as well. It really is the right thing to do.

1 comment:

SBTVD said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the SBTVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://sbtvd.blogspot.com. A hug.