Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Bill Gates clip and confidence

A few weeks ago a friend sent me a link to this You Tube clip. I find it enjoyable to watch (yes, I've watched it a lot) because it's funny, and I think it's great that Bill Gates was willing to participate in making a video like this. It's amazing to think of all that he has accomplished in his life so far.

I wonder if Bill Gates has ever had a confidence crisis? Has he ever struggled to understand a concept? Does he ever think, "I really messed up on that one?"

These days I am endeavoring to accept myself as I am. I recently started a new job and have been learning a lot of new concepts. I have been fortunate that I've had time to study the software I work with and observe a customer training.

Unfortunately, I don't learn well by reading and observing. I learn through hands-on experience, which is usually a painful process because it involves embarrassing myself in front of others.

In the past I would spend a lot of time berating myself for not being a better learner. I'd call myself stupid and lazy and believe it. Now I'm learning to take my failures in stride focus on developing tools that will help me learn through doing. I remind myself that for every home run I hit, I'll have struck out a lot more.

I don't think I'll ever believe I have a brilliant mind but I'm grateful for the mind I have. Besides, a brilliant mind won't get me anywhere if I am not willing to work hard. If I'm lucky, I'll get a lot of batting practice over the course of my lifetime and maybe I'll hit the ball out of the park a few times.

No comments: