Thursday, October 4, 2007

Project Play weeks one, two and three

I just wanted to write a brief post about what I've learned so far from Project Play.

I've enjoyed being able to blog at work. With little ones at home getting on the computer at night for more than two minutes and having enough mental energy to write a semi-coherent sentence is like winning the lottery. The odds are definitely stacked against me.

I love reading other participants' blogs. Our librarians are writing great blogs so it's fun to read their latest posts. Setting up my RSS reader has made reading blogs every day simple and easy.

Someone recently approached me, concerned that she didn't have time to devote to Project Play. It is very hard to fit new technology into your life, and I felt for her. It's scary, uncomfortable and it's not always easy (no matter what "they" say, to me, easy is another four letter word).

Learning new technology reminds me of how I feel about exercise. You're supposed to do it because it's good for you. Great. So instead of taking the musclehead approach I take the baby steps one. At a minimum every day, I spend 5 minutes walking up the stairs at work. When I have 10 minutes I lift weights, walk or run. Then if I find I can squeeze in a few more minutes I do. Otherwise I stop and don't beat myself up over how little I do relative to the muscleheads.

As much as I admire and aspire to be a great blogger like K.G. Schneider or Jenny Levine, in the library world I just can't be-- not right now. And as much as I'd like to have the body of Angelina Jolie or Heidi Klum, I won't-- ever. And that's fine with me (sort of).

With three weeks of Project Play under my belt, I definitely have more confidence in my ability to use blogs and RSS readers. Now... on to week 4. Which reminds me, Go Pack!!

1 comment:

KM said...

Thanks for your help on adding a blogroll to my blog -- I finally got time to work on it and it worked! Project Play is definitely teaching me things and making me think about the interaction between people and libraries.