Thursday, November 29, 2007

Wiki post

The first time I heard about wikis was a few years ago at the 2004 LITA National Forum. The room was jam-packed. I listened for a while but remember quietly walking out the door long before the presentation's end.

The concept seemed cool enough. A web page where anyone can edit the information on the screen. What a neat tool to use for collaboration. The software isn't overly techie (a real plus for me who was, at the time, implementing a host of other technologies). But I worked at a corporate library and words like "open access" and "public information" weren't frequently heard in our office.

But that was then and this is now. Now I'm working in an environment designed for sharing and we've asked our libraries to add content to wikis. I'm looking forward to using this tool to collaborate with colleagues and share information instantly.

No comments: